These steps need to be completed before you start the swap process.
If you see your vehicle's VIN at the top of the window you can skip this step.
Do not swap in modified ECM until told to do so!
- Download VCM Editor and Scanner, open up VCM Scanner and plug the MPVI2 into the truck with the stock ECM installed and the ignition on. 2022 L5p Pickup require this software->2022 L5P DOWNLOAD
- In VCM Scanner click on the blue circle with the white I on the top, when the new window opens, hit the same icon within the window that pops up.
- Hit the save button in that window and save it as your name and your VIN number, send that file to the appropriate team member and firstname.lastname@example.org
We will make a new base file from your info log. In a worst case scenario this can take up to 1-2 business days. Please do not proceed until you receive this from us.
When you receive your base file from us, you may proceed with the swap process.
ECM Swap Procedure
Prior to removing your factory ECM
- Open VCM Scanner on your computer. Plug your MPVI2 into your laptop first & then connect your MPVI2 to the vehicle’s OBD2 port with the stock ECM installed.
- Turn the key to the Run position, two clicks forward(key on, engine off) For push button start vehicles, hold the button down for 7-8s
Select the Vehicle Icon that says “Connect to Vehicle” on the top items bar.
- Select “Vehicle Controls & Special Functions”
Select the "System" tab
Click “Replace ECM” To start the function
- It will again ask you if the stock ECM is installed, click "Yes"
- ECM Data Read Successfully. Click "Okay"
- You may now replace the stock ECM with the provided unlocked ECM
Post unlocked ECM installation
For 2017-2019 models the Factory ECM is located behind the driver’s side headlight, in between the battery and the power steering pump. It is fastened with 1 christmas tree clips or 2 10MM bolts.
It is easiest to remove the 2 most forward connectors before trying to pull out your ECM, and leaving the 3rd one connected until it is free and brought up where you can see it above the radiator hose.
The connectors themselves have a lock that needs to be slid forward, pushed down, and at that point you can lift up the locking lever which will also push away from the ECM.
The TCM is the same style connector and is mounted on the the Firewall for 2017 Trucks or on the fan shroud for 2018-2019 Trucks.
For 2020+ Models the ECM is located in the driver side wheel well. The easiest way to access this is by jacking up the front, driver's side of the truck just enough, where the suspension extends but does not lift the wheel off the ground. Remove the factory fender liner (you can leave the fender flare attached)